A New Hampshire utility is warning consumers to be aware of the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning.
National Grid says people are shutting their homes up tight to keep out cold air now that fall is here. The utility says people should beware of carbon monoxide, a colorless, odorless gas that, if left undetected, can be deadly. Carbon monoxide is a byproduct of fuels not completely burned – such as natural gas, butane, propane, wood, coal, heating oil, kerosene and gasoline. Common sources are malfunctioning furnaces, kerosene space heater, natural gas ranges and charcoal grills.
Symptoms are similar to the flu – headaches, weakness, confusion, chest tightness, skin redness, dizziness, nausea, sleepiness, fluttering of the heart or loss of muscle control.
National Grid advises getting a carbon monoxide detector and checking your heating system annually.