Fire officials are warning Vermonters about the dangers of carbon monoxide after a Hartford man died this weekend inside his home. Police say 77-year-old Robert McCarthy died of carbon monoxide poisoning when a car was left running in the garage below the house. His wife was taken to the hospital for treatment. Police say the poisoning appears to have been accidental.
State officials are reminding Vermonters to install carbon monoxide detectors in their homes. Leaving a car running in a garage, using non-vented temporary heating appliances or electrical generators, or improperly installed fuel burning appliances can cause the odorless gas to build up inside a building.