A Vermont fire chief says a fire that destroyed a Pownal mobile home, leaving a mother and three children homeless, was apparently caused by a child playing with a lighter.
The fire at the Green Mountain Mobile Home Park was reported at about 7:45 Tuesday morning.
Pownal Valley Fire Department Chief Joel Howard says that when firefighters arrived the home was completely engulfed in flames. There were no injuries, but the home was destroyed.
Howard tells the Bennington Banner the children living in the home were aged 7, 4 and 2. He says they gave conflicting accounts of how the fire started, but it appears one of the children was playing with a lighter and set the back of a chair on fire.