Vermont health officials are warning people who live in Pittsford and the surrounding communities that they may be at increased risk for contracting eastern equine encephalitis, or EEE.
This comes after a horse in Pittsford tested positive for EEE on Friday and was euthanized over the weekend. It was the second horse in the state identified with the mosquito-borne infection.
Officials say the area where this latest horse lived was not treated with pesticide during the aerial spray that occurred the first week in September.
Two people in Vermont have also died from the infection this month.
Officials say local residents should take precautions to prevent mosquito bites.
They suggest limiting time outside during dawn and dusk when mosquitoes are most active. Insect repellents and long sleeved-shirts and long pants are also recommended.
Although there is no EEE vaccine for people, horses can be vaccinated against the infection.